Wednesday, August 14, 2024

RESCUE IN 54mm After The 1st Battle #4

 

ELSEWHERE ON MANZIBAR ISLAND

"Aroknok kantu." {Follow me.}

"Ji. Eah tanu lama?" {Yes. What is it?}

"Bokaboka." {Food} 

Ragnar Khan's reinforcements march through the wilderness of Manzibar Island. 

The column stretched out into the bush passing by....

Strange and cruel monuments and structures such as....

This sacrificial altar apparently in recent use. One Officer asked himself....

"Are these representations of a people or creatures living here or just a frightening boundary marker?"

"Captain, I saw large birds running in the bushes and trees. They would make a fine meal."

"What are they, soldier?"

"I don't know but they were robust enough able to feed several men each."

"They must have run off. Back to the column."

Onward to their rendezvous with Ragnar Khan.


INTR' ACTE

After the struggle into the mid-afternoon, both sides reorganized. Ragnar Khan's forces disengaged falling back behind the creek near Undunga's Ruins. The Imperials initially followed intending to launch a final push but decided to fall back and reorganize for the morrow. This is the story between the two days of battle.

"Here we are again my fine friends in the most forward position guarding the entire army," remarked Royal Marine Davey Musgrave.

"That's because the Sergeant trusts us most for this duty," fired back Lance Corporal Charley Parker.

"Oh sure," said Tommy Barrett. "Well, our lads to the rear will save us if trouble comes."

"They look the part in their extended line," offered Charley.

"Yeah, but bluejackets in reserve? Good lads sure. I guess the Brigadier knows what he's doing," said Davey crossly.

"Don't you think you should be looking at the enemy ahead and now shut up Davey?, demanded Tommy.

"You shut up! What about the Americans far off to our right?" continued Davey.


"From what I was told they fought very well, losing many men, said Tommy. The blue companies lost half their men."

"The stronger khaki outfit suffered less but carried off Khan's forces," added Charley.

"Aye. I'm glad they  have some horsemen," said Davey.

TWO HOURS LATER

"Darkness will be here soon. Are the men settled and picquets out?," asked Brigadier Grandmaison.

"Aye, Sir, they are," said Captain Warren. "All is well in both our camps."

 "Night comes fast in these parts," commented Petty Officer Lawson "and the enemy is bedded down." 

"What's goin' on in Khan's camp?" wondered Tommy.

"Yeah, and what about them wimin'?," asked Charley.

"I think they're by that bon fire," said Davey. "Maybe with the Khan. I wish I could hear what they're sayin'," continued Davey.

"The battle ended, Ragnar Khan with our rescuers a mere mile away. Surely they will come in the morning. So we invite you to release Miss Roosevelt and I into their custody, at this time," stated Princess Alice.

"Yes, Mr. Khan, surely you see the advantage lies with the American and British forces," remarked Miss Roosevelt. "I don't mean to speak intemperately. Ask for a parlay down at the creek and make arrangements, if you please and end all this."

"My, how polite and confident you are tonight," said Ragnar Khan. "My answer is no. However, I offer you one sporting opportunity. Simply walk down to the creek alone, cross at one of the bridges and call out to the enemy picquets. Maybe they will believe you. Maybe they won't."

 "That's walking a gauntlet, if my history reminds me and is a dangerous affair," said Alice.

"So? Danger lives with us all. Here's your one chance. Take it," offered Khan. "It will be interesting to see what my warriors.... Ah, excuse me for a moment. There is tumult in the camp. Wait here."

"Mates, do you hear shouts and bedlam in the enemy camp?," asked Davey.

"Aye, an scurrying around too as best I can see which ain't that good," said Tommy.

There's why, my lads. Look up!," ordered Davey. 

"What the....," gasped Tommy. 

"That rare apparition, my boys, according to my Granny Caroline, is a Blood Red Moon. It portends important actions by The Almighty," said Davey. "We should have a care!"

"Davey - Charley! Look down at the bridge. There's commotion there and female voices a shoutn'," said Tommy.

"It's the wimin. We've got to help 'em!," shouted Davey.

"An desert our post? That's a firing squad offense! What if its a cruel trick?," asked Tommy.


"Well, lads, I'm goin'," said Davey. "Come along or stay."

----------          ----------          ----------

3 comments:

Stryker said...

Brilliant!

Doug B. said...

If only Hollywood had you as a Producer/Director! Great stuff.

James Fisher said...

That is superb! Wonderful figures, beaut terrain, marvellous story telling and sensational photography!
Regards, James