Tuesday, September 15, 2026

CHAPTER IV RAGNAR KHAN


 CHAPTER IV

EIGHT MONTHS AGO
JANUARY 15, 1898

AN IMAGINEERED SUDAN CAMPAIGN

DIPLOMATS AND RAGNAR KHAN

See previous Chapter III here:

Left to right: Colonel Washburn, Lord Ashcroft, Brigadier Gerard (ret.)
and two members of Ragnar Khan's Household

 "Welcome Gentle mens to His Excellency Ragnar Khan's Mountain Home. We hope your journey was not intolerable. My name is Edan Zarneigahdan, Majordomo here."

"Quite good traveling, Sir," said Ashcroft as Washburn and Gerard concurred with, "Lovely country and a here-here." "When may we expect to meet the Khan?"

"Oh, very soon but may I impertinently inquire about your desires first?"

"Colonel Washburn has a single page memorandum outlining the interests of my Government," said Ashcroft."

"Superb. Koolahm and I will leave you now and announce to The Ragnar Khan you are here ready to meet. Place your memorandum on the grand table. If you will excuse me.... Oh, please remain standing. Protocol, you see."

One hour later.

"I dare say," remarked Gerard.

"Washburn added, "Quite so."

Forty minutes more.

"Pure and cool Samar lemon wahtar', Sir?"

Before Washburn could say, may I have a sandwich too, the Majordomo returned saying, "His Excellency The Ragnar Khan is about to appear. Turn to face the door...."

Gerard quietly exclaimed to his party, "A reddish mist is arising out of nothing. What kind of mysticism is this?"

"More likely a mania," whispered Ashcroft. 

Then darkness overcame the room.
 
Zarneigahdan ordered, "Silence."

And suddenly....

"Behold, His Excellency The Ragnar Khan, exalted ruler and owner of all lands, waters and peoples between the...."

Ashcroft's thoughts interrupted listening to the rest of Khan's claims, thinking, "Is he a showman or just mad?"

The Khan opened with, "I am honoured, Gentlemen. Welcome. I have this past hour read your document now before me and conferred with my Prime Minister to my right. Let us speak about it as we walk."

Washburn, whispered to Gerard, "No refreshments first?"

Gerard replied as quietly as he could, "I guess not."

"Lord Ashcroft, am I to understand your government requests free passage on the Samar River to your enclaves?"

That is the request, Your Excellency," answered Ashcoft.

Gerard added, "And we have machinery to offer to increase excavation of profitable minerals in your hill region. A mutual benefit, surely?"

"And your flotilla of gunboats to guard the right of way and transport of minerals too?, stated Ragnar Khan. "Unfortunate."

"A prudent precaution given the unrest in your southern region," offered Washburn. 

"You will have my answer within the next hour. Meanwhile, there are refreshments along the back wall. Colonel Washburn, your sandwich is there," stated Khan.

"Very kind, Your Excellency," prattled Washburn, amazed at Khan's hearing.

"I shall leave you now."

As the Khan walked away, Ashcroft silently wondered, "Will we have a smoke and light display again?" But there were no theatrics this time.

He reappeared seventy minutes later.

Colonel Washburn, Lord Ashcroft and Brigadier Gerard, after consultation with my Prime Minister, we agree your proposal is premature. It is rejected. Your stay here is now at an end. Before the sun reaches its zenith, you are required to leave. Return to your gunboat on the Samar. My decision is firm and irrevocable. 

"Gentle mens', added Zarneigahdan, "Should you remain within our territory at sunrise, I cannot promise for your safety - given the unrest you mentioned."

"Look at the Majordomo's eyes, will you. Is he in a trance,?" asked Gerard.

"We barely have time to change into riding uniforms," stated Ashcroft. 

"You have time enough," said Ragnar Khan.

"We are grateful for your timely decision. Good day to you then, Your Excellency," replied Ashcroft.

Later.

"I salute you, Your Excellency," said Gerard. "Now, Sirs, let us ride and be quick about it."

"I dare say," stated Washburn and Gerard added an intemperate "Quite so."
 
THE NEXT MORNING

HM Gunboat Zanzibar was fired upon by Ragnar Khan. Captain Crisp (upper right) ordered the guns to be manned and reply.

One of four explosive rounds impacted the aft deck knocking out the gun crew. The concussion also bowled over the aft upper deck Browning crew causing the Captain and Lord Ashcroft to hit the deck. Then the bombardment ceased. Had Ragnar Khan made his point to leave the area?

No! Up from the ground rose a horde of warriors charging toward the boat. 

Captain Crisp bellowed, "Repel boarders!"

The Browning crew remanned its piece sending a deadly shower into the foe as some climbed through and atop vegetation along the riverbank amidships.


A nearby bluejacket hallooed to no one in particular, "Mates, I got one." Captain Crisp did not hear him through the din and because Chief Bedford had just delivered gut-punching news. "Sir, we've run aground. Zanzibar is dead in the water, in the mud most likely. We tried to reverse the engine. No good, Cap'n!"

Then Ragnar Khan's warriors swarmed onto the bow.

----------          ----------          ----------

No comments: